Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chapter 9, Language

1) HOW DOES IT FIT?
Being that we skipped around a little, chapter 9 ins attempting to help understand the processes of listening and reading with reference to comprehension. Chapter 9 breaks down psycholinguistics and is setup very much like chapter 10 and 11. It offers insight to human language, factors involved, and some science behind our perceptions on language. I related closely to the section on phonics vs whole language. Most of the chapter I found pretty science like and dull, but this section was very applicable to schooling and the importance of the effective teaching of language.

2) WHAT DON"T I UNDERSTAND?
I don't care for the reading as of late. Just my opinion. It is too wordy and lengthy. I guess I wish there was more material I could relate. I feel frustrated with all the reading and assignments. I guess I am just not as motivated as I was in the first few weeks. I don't like the fact that I find myself trying to take shortcuts to get through the assignments, hopefully things will start to come together and make more sense for me and my usefulness for it in the classroom.

3) WHAT WILL I USE?
I am definitely an advocate for phonics. I believe I will try to utilize more language and phonics oriented assignments in my Social Studies lessons. I try to infuse reading strategies, but after reading the chapter I intend on assisting students in overcoming some of the factors that inhibit reading comprehension to take place.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments in your 2nd response. I found the information in this chapter to be difficult to get through because it isn't directly applicable to why I am in this program. I did not enjoy the extra reading assignment this week at all. The article I did manage to find was long and BORING! I think our group discussion was lacking this week as well. Overall- not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need some help with motivation!! Think about our students.. They are always motivated at the beginning of the year, but now look at them. They are shutting down and not wanting to do anything because it is getting to be the end of the year. I guess kind of like this class. Things were fine in the beginning and now that it's near the end, we are ready to be done!!! Well there's only a few more weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete