Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chapter 10 (Language)

Hola! Aloha! Guten Tag! Whassupp Dudes and Dudettes!

1) How does this fit?
I believe this week's reading was cover-all. Language Acquisition is truly an area in which all the cognitive processes that we have discussed over the term can be applied. For example, I can recall examples from almost every chapter in which language was used as the variable for study. The book has continuously made references to language acquisition as one of the most complex yet amazing accomplishments our human mind will endure. This chapter, even though # 10 in the book proved to be a apex for cognitive processes and also introduced to the idea of new material such as a 2nd language. The 2nd language acquisition is a retroactive look at the possibilities of the learning capacity of humans at different stages and ages.

2) What am I not clear on?
I cannot say there was something I didn't understand as much I missed a few connections that I thought the chapter would attempt to make. When I think of language I think of communication as the most important part. Passing information, stories, instruction, and etc. yet the chapter really didn't talk about these facets of language. Whether the section on the basic goals of language or the pragmatics it seems that the aspects of communication were mentioned very little. I don't know????? not what I expected.

3) How can I apply to my teaching?
I must reconsider my approach. There are those days when you look around the class and what you are saying just doesn't register with your students. I must have a set of checks and balances to assure that the students are hanging with my lessons. Whether you refer to this as common ground or audience specific I don't think it matters. We as teachers must always be sure that our students can connect with our strategies and ideas, or we are just polluting the air.
Here is my first comic, not as good as the 2nd, wasn't sure if it would have worked. Deals with past psych. stuff.
http://www.bitstrips.com/user/43944/read.php?comic_id=221813&subsection=1

2 comments:

  1. j. what does la femme esta bell mean?? I'm not even sure if I said that right, but I do not know french!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. go create another comic. I bet you could get a lot created this week!!

    ReplyDelete