Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Realm of Learning Environments

1) Chapters 6 and 7 from the How People Learn text is infusing information we learned from our Cognition books, but applying to the learning environments we create. The text talks about how we establish our learning environment and the process in which we create an avenue for students to use their cognitive abilities in different manners. The key is to make sure we offer a plethora of teaching styles so students can relate the material in some manner.

2) I am still not clear on the overall effectiveness of cooperative group work. I chose this specifically to speak about due to the struggles I have had with it. I try to make lessons and even units in which I incorporate group activities, but I am very apprehensive to give up control of the class. Even when I plan the lesson down to the very last role for a student, it still seems that some will do the majority of the work and some will just sit there. I wish it was easier but frustration has led me away from it.

3) I have stated this before but my philosophy on a lesson is to try and mix up the approach. The text reassures me of this. Different strategies, approaches, and modes can help tap into the different schemas that students possess. My current approach usually entails an activity from each of the main different approaches. For example, I usually start with some type of self-discovery activity, in which my hopes are to actively engage the students. Secondly, I try to use a knowledge-centered approach with me being the facilitator. I usually sum things up by some type of review, application, or activity in which students use the knowledge they have gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment