Friday, March 27, 2009

Make a Decision!

1) This topic fits right in with the process of things. We went from how we perceive stimuli, to determining if it is important or not, to identifying any problems we might have, how we solve those problems, and of course now we are considering how we reason out those things we can't identify so easily. This2 chapter deals with the ideals of decisions and judgements we make without necessarily knowing the result or which process might be most effective. I consider these types of decisions the ones that make us unique as humans. The ability to reason. These are the decisions that ultimately define us as individuals, and make or break us in our successes and failures. The ultimate form of learning, by experience and mistakes.

2) Cloudy, Cloudy, Cloudy that is how I would predict reading this chapter to someone. I had a tough time staying with the heuristics. I had to read them over and over again to make sure I knew the name and could distinguish it from one of the other hundred heuristics in the book. I made my own heuristic on the questions this week. I think I might write a book about heuristics, it will be very open-ended and similar to all other books.

3) I would say the framing effect hit me most in this week's reading and how apply it to my teaching. The outcome of decision making may depend on the wording and your background knowledge. This is very important in the classroom setting. How I promote kids to access prior knowledge and how I word questions, assignments, quizzes, and projects can have a greater effect than I ever thought possible. I must consider my lessons and assignments carefully, but more importantly, use a variety of techniques so I can hit all the cylinders of my student engine.

4 comments:

  1. Hi JJ. I too had to reread some of the heuristics to be sure I wasn't mixing them up. The framing effect also resonated with me. I wrote about it in our group discussion this week as the one I most rely on. I agree with your point in #3 regarding teaching and how relevant the framing effect can be in instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs or just cloudy? At least we know that your metacomprehension is working if you realized that you still didn't understand the text after reading it. This whole chapter didn't click for me as far as being able to apply it to my classroom, so I guess I am in a fog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the framing effect was one of the things that I took out of the chapter to use in my classroom also. It is interesting that the way that we phrase and teach info in class can make a huge difference for our students. We need to be able to word our questions in a way that involves critical thinking rather than just phrase a question to get 1 specific answer. The students will retain more info with a more in depth process of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John! I agree with you on your second point. I had to reread those heuristics over and over. However, after all the reading, I feel pretty confident in them. I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete