Friday, February 27, 2009

How can imagery be auditory!

1) Chapter 7 gives a detailed look at the processes surrounding the formation of mental images and models. The material relates strongly to the top-down processing theory, in which the mind forms images based on prior knowledge. The unique structure of this chapter was based on what takes place in the mind when the stimulus is not physically present. The chapter offers research and information on the formation of imagery and the cognitive theories behind spatial perception (mental mapping).

2) I believe the theories introduced in Chapter 7 fits well with our journey thus far. From the initial onset of a stimulus the mind is continually moving the information through different terms of memory. In this case, the mind is creating its own physical model, map, or image as opposed to it being provided. In this case, the mind must rely on past experiences which, in turn, can be misleading or cause interference.

3) I don't agree or am not clear on the propositional code. I am having trouble relating to the language type of mind description. As I have stated before, I am an extremely visual person and find language to be a challenge with reference to visual imagery. I am also not a huge fan of the amount of terminology they have labeled all the different processes.

4) Absolutely this applies to school and teaching. Interference is probably the number one factor in the inability to attain certain academic goals for some. With a classroom of 30 kids with raging hormones, interference might be more relevant than being focused itself. As I have highlighted before, we as teachers must take the few valuable minutes in which we have tuned in our students and shove in information. I know that sounds somewhat careless but I think it is truthful.

5) For me, the most valid portions of a chapter or reading are accompanied by self-tests. This chapter had a few different demonstrations that put ideas into perspective for me. It is much more memorable and meaningful when I can perform the tests and demos and compare and contrast my results, with the results of the research completed by the psychologists.

6) The chapter definitely rang true to me, especially the latter portions of the reading. This section spoke more about mental mapping, relative position, spatial cognition. I have always felt strong when dealing with lessons, activities, or tasks that require use of a mental map or spatial perception. I would compare this area to students that do well with geography, geometry, or other subject matter in which the visual stimuli is the most crucial portion of the learning. The question is "why are some so effective, while other struggle"? The vice-versa would be true of those that struggle with language oriented learning, like me!

7) After reading the chapter I have become much more aware of classroom interruptions. There are steps I need to take to reduce the amount of interference that is occurring in my room. Whether it be the sign I hung on the door, the new signals I have created for students with issues, or the simple raising of the hand, I am much more alert about students staying focused. I have also realized there are many times that I am at fault for interfering. I like to tell too many stories, and should often times, stick to the task.

8) I believe that colleges don't allow for their students to see enough of the true classroom action that takes place on a day to day basis. I know they have increased the observation workload, but for newer teachers to come in and be more effective I think they should have a class like this. I have learned quite a bit, or have at least considered many different options to improve my style of teaching from the research mentioned in this text. I also believe to more effective in the classroom with many of these ideas, one would need more opportunities to get resources. I feel limited on time, money, supplies, that often makes me take a shortcut. But truly, to be the most effective I would need to invest in these things to benefit those in my classroom.

JJ's Round-Up
1) Here's a heuristic. The too much time on your hands heuristic. This is where people think they are busier than they actually are, like the scientists that created heuristics. I thought the heuristics in the text were a bit of a stretch and somewhat weird.
2) I am good at spatial perception. I can walk a perfect zig-zag through my yard and not step in any of my dog's poop. And there is quite a bit.
3) I think reading this chapter will improve my tetris skills!
4) I thought code was so other people wouldn't understand, but the book says we need to code to understand. I don't Understand! Do you understand what I am saying?
5) I typed in Cognitive Map on my GPS, and it led me to Mr. Martinez's pool, if he has one!!! Do you have one?
6) I'm ready for summer!

2 comments:

  1. Hey JJ. I can relate to what you are saying regarding propositional code in #3. I am a visual learner too and it seems I recall a lot visually. In a response in our group discussion, I posed the question about asking a student to think about the word dog and would they see a picture of a dog or the letters d o g. One person responded they believed most would see a picture of a dog, yet another person replied her daughter spelled out the word. There was a lot of discussion in our group about finite space and images taking up too much space, like a computer, but I think this analogy my be a little to simple relating to how humans store information.

    I have done some subbing over the past year and am always amazed at the amount of interruptions though the day. People sharpening pencils, going in and out of class for various reasons, other students coming to drop stuff off etc....it is exhausting and no wonder it takes forever to get things accomplished. I think am am older than some in this class, because I remember a very different experience in school. You always had to have permission to get out of you seat and there were none of these constant interruptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Responding to question 4: I feel the same way, any uninterrupted time we can get with our students we have to give them as much information as we can. As soon as the interruption occurs we are likely to lose them for the rest of the class. You don't sound careless at all.

    ReplyDelete