Thursday, March 5, 2009

Chapter 8 (The 4-S Chapter)

Structure of Semantic Memory, Schemas, and Scripts!!

1) This chapter explains how we use prior knowledge, experiences, and perceptions and apply them to new stimuli we encounter. The book identifies four key approaches that we use to recall and compare the past and the present. The four approaches are very similar in that they discuss how we network knowledge. The latter half of the chapter begins to discuss how we use our experiences to plan and evaluate our current situation. The text refers to these as Schemas and/or Scripts.

2) I believe this chapter is trying to tie together many of the other processes we have discussed in earlier chapters. I believe semantic memory is like the many closets of knowledge we have in our minds. The key to opening each closet is to be sure that we have a key that fits. By this I mean, that how we encode, rehearse, and practice over time helps us recall and open up banks of knowledge. The more we learn about a certain category or concept the more we start to use our parallel networks and builds relationships with the old and the new.

3) I found that the four approaches were very similar. So similar that I feel if one really wanted to they could blend them into one. I don't mean this negatively, I am just saying that as I reflected back on each of the approaches that had different names for the same types of occurrence in the mind. For example, spreading activation and Parallel Distributed Processing.

4) The is very crucial in the young minds of adolescents. We have students from all different backgrounds and experiences, yet our goal is to get them to understand a common concept. We as teacher, counselors, and mentors must be sure to use examples from many different realms in the hopes that students can take in the new material and bridge it to older experiences. I must also plan lessons that are effective in the encoding phase of stimuli. Being that encoding is a crucial part of recall, the more effective we can setup the stimulus, the greater the chance the students will recall it.

5) I believe the author offers sufficient proof within all the approaches. I found it difficult to identify with one of them. I could honestly take a little bit from each of them. The reading on schemas I found a little difficult. I had a hard time keeping track of what I was reading about. With this, I mean, as I just finished reading one term the paragraph took me to a new one. This may not answer this question, but I don't believe that I know enough to say that an author didn't make a valid point. I guess my general thought would be that by the end of the chapter is I was most persuaded it would be in the areas of networking and the Parallel Distributed Processing Approach.

6) The chapter confirms the importance of parenting in the memory growth of a child. Experiences play such a huge role in our approaches and schemas, that I can't imagine how difficult it must be for children that have very little support at home. I need to consider this when working with students from rough backgrounds, and try to expose the children to new ideas, but no bore those that have substantial prior knowledge.

7) I would just say that I need to highlight students with large amounts of prior knowledge in certain fields. It is important to allow them to have the floor when they have a chance to share their experiences.

8) This poses as a tough question this week. Reason being is that the chapter spoke about memory on more of a broad sense. Knowledge was the key this week and truly there is only one way to gain knowledge about a subject, and that is to work with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment