Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tip of my Tongue!

1) This chapter was a continuation of the journey, as I like to put it. The text had a spectrum of studies, samples, strategies, phenomena, theories, and etc. Once again, I found myself entrenched in psychology terminology, however, this time it was very understandable. I felt like I could relate to the scientific explanations the author and friends were giving throughout this short chapter. It seemed that with every paragraph I read I was relating the information to my own thought processes. This created a level of interest different from some of the earlier readings. My thoughts ranged from some of my mnemonic strategies and retrieval devices as well as my metamemory and how I utilize my memory strategies. The chapter seemed to really evoke thought on whether teaching memory might be a valid and effective method to improve learning.

2) Last week I used the sequel example in my response. I thought last week was the last movie, but maybe this week is the last movie. Then again, maybe this movie will never end. Earlier chapters focused on the initial onset of the stimulus, while the last two chapters stressed the encoding and sorting-type phases. This chapter, with support from chapter 5, starts to breakdown the overall effectiveness the mind has on retrieval and metamemory. It highlights different pathways individuals use to re-locate, retrieve, or recall memories, whether 15 minutes ago or something like an image 15 weeks ago.

3) I am intrigued and puzzled by absentmindedness (weird word) and the "tip of the tongue" phenomenon. What is puzzling is the fact that the answer is in our brains but we can't seem to get to it. What actually blocks our ability to retrieve the information? Or how about the fact that you can strain your brain for minutes on an issue or word, and then an hour later it just smacks you in the forehead. I find this strange!!

4) The big unveiling I had this chapter came from Jill's memory experiment. I don't know if I discovered the importance of memory concepts in children or if I was super surprised at the results. What ticked me off was that my low student performed the best, which re-assured me how lazy his behind has been this year. However, the young lady that performed the test said she would have done things differently if asked to do it again, which proved to me that learning had occurred in the form of effective memory strategies. I never really thought about it before that comment. I have always used mnemonics and etc., but have never really considered careful evaluation of memory concepts.

5) I am not actually sure what it is I am believing some of the time. You see, most of the studies aren't facts, but merely theories. Yes, many of them sound sufficient and worthy, but I cannot say I agree with all of them. I did some introvert and extrovert research and I cannot say that I agree with the qualities they label each individual. It is kind of like the right-brain / left-brain thing. Yeah, most may be true of the person, but not all of the traits.
However, I was very impressed with the study completed by Moley on adult/child memory strategies. This, along with Denise's response, made me more aware of this misnomer. I never really considered that children don't think about or know how to use their memory effectively.

6) I will keep this one short to prevent beating a dead horse. Undoubtedly I discovered the importance of introducing and practicing memory strategies with students. I have answered this question in earlier responses with reference to the experiment completed this week.

7) My goal is to introduce and support the usage of new memory strategies. Ultimately, I want to expose my students to as many different aspects of learning as possible, in hopes that they can take and formulate their own "best way". Not only for information from the past, but also the perception of information that is in the present. I want my students to have the ability to effectively organize and recall useful information, and take responsibility for their comprehension of it.

8) No, I don't believe there is a better or cheaper way to teach the ability to organize and recall information more effectively. Many of these processes lie in the responsibility of the student, and more than likely improve with maturity. The only aspect I believe I could improve is maybe moving that child a little faster along by introducing different strategies sooner.

JJ's ROUND-UP (TIP OF TONGUE TEST!!!)
Don't Look, Answers are at bottom
1) What is the name of the blue, big-nosed, fuzzy character off of Muppet Babies?
2) What is a group of Penguins called?
3) In the 80's, Molly Rinwald was in 3 famous movies. Here are two of them, what is the third?
PRETTY IN PINK, BREAKFAST CLUB, _____?
4) In the movies, who was the original BATMAN?
5) What was the first music video on MTV?
6) On Saved by the Bell, what two character names are missing?
ZACK, SCREECH, _______, KELLY, ________, JESSIE
How did you do?
Any tongue tippers?
Which was most difficult?
Let me know for giggles!
ANSWERS:
Gonzo
Colony
Sixteen Candles
Michael Keaton
Video Killed the Radio Star
AC Slater and Lisa

4 comments:

  1. I find the tip-of-the-tongue interesting also. Quite often I experience this phenomenon. It seems the harder you try the more difficult it seems to recall what you are looking for. It seems after you relax and "forget about it" (which is ironic) then it seems to come to you!

    I liked the quiz at the end. I did not know Video Killed the Radio Star was the first music video but I will be singing it all night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found many of your responses interesting. You made me laugh. Anyway, when reading through the strategies from chapter 6, I kept saying to my self..."Do that one all the time" "Do that too." "Do it." I naturally I employ strategies. But the "tip of the tongue" phenomenon is something that is puzzling. I too will try to come up with a name or some other piece of information. I try several strategies to pull the piece of information up and then when I least expect it (middle of the night) it will come to me. I think of it kind of it like a ball running through a maze...has to line up with the right path before it can be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the tip of the tongue very appealing.I got all of them right except video killed the radio star (1983 right?) trying to use that recall. Another thing in your post that caught my eye was in (#7) how your goal is to introduce as many strategies as possible. Normally people only do this because they know people learn differently, but you stated you are doing it to help all better their ability to become more educated(at least that is how I took it) and I have never looked at things in that concept. A philosophy that I believe should carry more weight in my own practices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is really interesting how we cannot think of something simple and then a few hours later it hits us. A lot of times this happens when I am trying to remember what movie a certain line came from. (I'm a movie geek) I often find myself trying to hear the voice that says the line in my mind and try to picture what that actor/actress looks like. I really think there are pieces that have to connect, like a pathway, to find what I am looking for in my brain. Oh, by the way, would you not consider Adam West the original Batman? Not only was he in the TV show, but there is a movie as well (one of my favorites haha, the shark repellent is great!).

    ReplyDelete