Thursday, February 5, 2009

Chapter 4 (Short-term/Working Memory)

1) Chapter 4 breaks down the process of short-term memory. Working memory has been separated into components. Each of the components deals with the specifics of the stimuli at hand. The phonological loop is how we store incoming sound, while the visuospatial sketchpad is our answer for visual stimuli. These stimuli are then temporarily stored in an episodic buffer component. All the while, it is the duty of the Central Executive to organize and plan around the received information.

2) Up to this point we have been bombarded with the "classic" scientific studies completed on attention, stimuli, perception, etc. Chapter 4 takes the basics of perceived stimuli and begins us on the path of understanding. How we filter, organize, and ultimately remember information that has passed our senses.

3) The Central Executive befuddles me. It is quite interesting that we can remember so many specific things, but struggle if we have two similar types of stimuli knocking on our door. I am not clear, nor are the scientists on how the CE actually filters and organizes information from different components of the working memory. If they don't get it how am I, I am just a middle school teacher.

4) I tried to apply the two components today. I had my students put the process of a bill becoming a law on the board with color coordinated panels. Red represents the House, while blue is the senate, joint operations are white, and presidential decisions are yellow. I want the students to be working both their visuo and phono. I also think that their buffer zone might respond more effectively since we organize the material in order. Ultimately, I hope the students can recall either the text or the color of the panel to help them recall the material when the CE asks for it.

5) I would say the proof is in the pudding. The tests speak for themselves. For example, the book mentions a test for the phonological loop component. It highlights the impossibility to count the number of the's in a sentence and also read the text for understanding as well. In each of these components the mind can only accomplish one task at a time. Every example the text highlighted this held true. Components can work together, but not at the same time necessarily. I do believe it, and I do believe one can improve these areas as well. This means there is still an abundant amount of information we don't understand.

6) The more we can understand the process of short-term memory, the more efficiently we can plan our lessons. I believe the ins and outs of short-term memory could play a huge role in the improvement of reading comprehension. The text mentions how some people are connnected more with the right side of their brain, while others are more left-brained. If one can recognize their strenghts and improve their weaknesses they can enhance their overall learning experience.

7) I am not actually sure how i will use this, but I am at least more aware of the process. Once again I think this applies to the different types of learning in students. I think we must plan our lessons to hit all the different types of learning styles. Some students will find their strength in visuospatial types of activities, while some will thrive in auditory acitivities, in which the phonological loop is active. Either avenue is effective, we must make sure that we give the different learning styles a chance to flourish.

8) I know question number 8 is taking some heat from the class, and I can't defend it here either. I guess an educator could and should allow students to express different modes of memory. Have students share the processes in their minds when introducing new concepts. Allow them to share their thought processes so that other students may develop their own skills as well. This is a real vanilla answer for lack of a better and cleaner word. I am just struggling with this question.
JJ's ROUNDUP
1) Question 8 is rough!
2) I told my kids my phone number (7 digits) and none of them remembered it. 5 of them switched only one number. So I guess the 7 +-2 is true.
3) This might be the first class I have had in which I will read the whole book. I don't know if that is sad or scary.
4) This chapter had some real official names for things!
5) My episodic buffer is watching My Name is Earl right now.
6) My Central Executive is telling me the directions to Dairy Queen.

5 comments:

  1. This probably won't count as a post. I need to post my own blog, but I just wanted to comment that I always look forward to reading 'J.J.'s Roundup'. You have such a great sense of humor. I guess I better kick my Central Executive into gear and work on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right I thought about the Episodic Buffer and Central Executive models the same way, if we use our long term memory to solve new problems why can't we use long-term memory to make a decision on what task should be prioritized, and select strategies to tackle a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I have read JJ's Round Up... and I must say I too got a good chuckle out of it!!!!
    Anyway.... In the education program our professors always stressed how important it was to meet the needs of each students different learning styles. I think this chapter just reinforced and went into more detail as to why that is. Now that I am actually in the classroom I have come to realize how important that is for students to succeed. Also, how difficult this can be for a teacher with 24 different kids in their class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JJ I am a huge fan of your blog :-D
    I love your activity for how a bill becomes a law. I think it is very important to find those ways in which students will remember. Sometimes just a color will trigger that memory of the activity and what went in what order. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to say thanks to my psyche friends. I appreciate your ideas and your posts on the blog. Talk to ya later. See ya in Chapter 11 Teresa. JJ

    ReplyDelete