Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chapter 5 "I forgot what it was about", Just kidding (Long-Term Memory)

1) This chapter was quite the lengthy one, so it is difficult to summarize it in a few sentences. However, I will try my best. The chapter takes us on a journey through the mind to figure out how it is we move information from our short-term/working memories to our long-term memories. There was even research that says a nomadic memory exists that tries to state information moves around until it finds a final resting spot. I have put this lecture in the bonus section link under "nomadic memory". The topic is interesting, but the lecture sometimes goes a little science guy on you, so be patient. The real challenge of the chapter seems to attempt to answer how it is we can successfully store and then retrieve the information. Most of the definitions, theories, and tests that were given are comparing successes to failures. With the results the scientists and psychologists make conclusions on avenues to effectively encode the material for greater retrieval.

2) This chapter is truly the last sequel movie or maybe the last sequel movie that is from the Trilogy "The journey of Info. through the mind"! It is the final stage of memory, and is defining whether or not the information is to be stored or kicked out. The chapter is crucial in completing a better understanding of memory as a whole. In my opinion, the book continues to breakdown the process of memory into segments and sections, when the process itself doesn't have any clear boundaries. I don't mean that negatively, I just think that to ultimately understand what is going on at each state the author must give examples of all the "classic" studies done to test these viable areas.

3) I am still unclear with the lurking evidence of amnesia. I think this is the key, but what the helicoptors do I know. We know that two types of amnesia exist, retrograde and anterograde. Scientists believe that these patients may hold the answers we our looking for, however, it is difficult to attach the results to science. I have watched a couple of the bonus links and a few of them mention the importance of the hippocampus. The book is yet to mention too many things about this origin of the brain. I don't know if we will get a look later, but I believe there is more to the story than just the different lobes of the brain. It is like a mystery, and the end of the book is going to tell us how memory works. ORRRR, maybe it won't! I don't know.

4) Encoding is the key. There is no doubt from reading the tests given, and the theories that exist that encoding is the key. For more effective retrieval the mind must have 3 elements. I am kind of just making this up, but it is what I think the book is trying to tell me. I feel the students must have something to attach the information to, like a song, dance, mnemonic, experience, signal, etc. That is first. Then comes an the avenue of committing the information to a deeper processing region of the brain. This is the most important aspect. This what teachers should be all about. And lastly, we need to build roads in the mind that will continually help the students grab the information when needed. We even need to build roads to different pieces of information, so greater learning and understanding can take place. So lesson plans need to be designed with this in mind. Sounds easy, and we still get 3 months off in the summer.

5) Yes, I believe in the author's writing is this chapter more than any of the others. The studies and research are very convincing. I also took the tests within the chapters and performed like the author said I would. The results are very concrete, but the problem lies in the science of explaining. I was in agreement with most of the statements made in this chapter, and there were a ton of them.

6) I think the most valid portion of the chapter, with reference to education, comes from the section that deals with explicit and implicit memory. The author defines these types of memory processes, but also explains problems that exist. For example, a better understanding of dissociation and proactive interference are crucial when it comes to students. They are bombarded with information on a daily basis. They continually have to cram in new material and organize around existing material. Research in this area could vastly improve the overall effectiveness of schools due to its relevancy with learning. I am struggling with students that can't separate our state government from our federal government. Many of the Congressmen and women have the same titles, but different qualifications and role. Students can't seem to realize that two governments exist, and that the state is just a micro-cosm of the federal.

7) These processes are an everyday occurrence. Committing valuable concepts and information to long-term memory is essential in education. I think this chapter was doing more explaining than it was understanding. The author was continually introducing new concepts and definitions that exist with reference to long-term memory. I think this question will be better answered as we move to "what it is" that will improve long-term memory. It does shed light on the different types of students and how skill sets are different. For example, the book mentions a chess player that is phenomenal at calculating different moves, but aren't very different in intelligence or cognition than the average Joe. So it opens my eyes to the saying, "we were all put here for a purpose".

8) I am still hating this question. I feel like I have to just "car salesman" my way through this. I really just don't know what to reply here. I guess I will just say "NO" there are no better, cheaper, faster ways to accomplish these tasks. This way Mr. Martinez can't be mad at me...
JJ's ROUND-UP
1) I have poor mood congruence with #8, therefore I don't have pleasant memories of the question!
2) I met a girl named POLLYANNA on Spring Break, I remember her well!
3) How long did it take Margaret Matlin to write this book?
4) I couldn't attend the first night of class, therefore I have put Cartoon faces on all of you to help me remember you. No offense! I am just encoding.
5) Did you read about weapon focus? The book says that one would focus on the weapon instead of the person's face! UHHHH, DUHHHHHHH!
6) This is a little different since I know more people are looking this week! Does anyone have any areas of expertise, like the book explains? Please hit my blog if you do, for funsies.
Later, JJ

6 comments:

  1. Good morning JJ. I enjoyed reading your blog this week. As I said before, the round-up is a great touch. Do you use it in class with your students? Kind of a take-a-way of a few main points? I think you could have another career in writing with your satirical wordsmith gift. Well done!

    I am also interested in the hippocampus and wondering why we have read little on this important part of the brain. I have read other publications on the importance of the hippocampus related to learning and memory. Specifically, how exercise promotes brain derived neurotropic factor (BDNF)- that builds and maintains cell circuitry. There is a growing body of scientific research that identifies the benefit of exercise on the brain and increasing BDNF. It is kind of like a miracle grow for the brain. Perhaps the book will address this in future chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and no I don't use the round-up with my kids, at least not in this fashion, but you are right, I should!
    Yeah, the hippocampus, which I know little about, keeps re-surfacing, so I imagine we will see more of it in the future. Thanks, JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! I also need more than just a cartoon picture of you (which is truly what I am getting from your comedic type of writing) since you were not at the first class. Your humor in your writing intrigues me. What level and subject do you teach? I am going to guess high school, perhaps, psychology. Anyways, loved your reflections, very funny. Also the Round up in a nice touch. Did you really meet a girl named Pollyanna?

    Since you think encoding is the key (and I agree with you), do you already do the three elements that you mentioned in your reflection?
    Also do you think those three elements are as easily achieved with an ADHD student?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jill, I teach 8th Grade Social Studies. Thanks for the comments, and I don't remember names very well, so maybe her name wasn't Pollyanna. I believe the 3 elements are even more important for students with ADHD. In 8th grade, let's be honest, don't they all have a little ADHD. I think their is a small window in each lesson in which maximum learning can take place, i aim to accomplish our goals in that window, but there is no doubt some kids with attention issues struggle at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh.. POLLYANA! Hope you boys didn't cause too much trouble after we left!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on #6. The information about explicit and implicit will influence education. At the elementary level it already has, at least in the two districts I have worked for. There is a huge push for using questioning techniques and assessments that go past recall and recognition. To me this seems like a 'duh' fact that students will learn better through implicit learning, but I think we just don't have time to plan those types of assessments for everything. Also, a lot of the standardized testing does not follow that model. Thanks again for your great blog!

    ReplyDelete