Friday, January 30, 2009

Chapter 3 (Perceptual Processes II)

1) I believe Chapter 3 was a a continuation of the first two chapters. I can see a compounding effect occurring as we continue to move through the text. Generally speaking this chapter continues to explain how humans focus, perceive, and how we take stimuli and from basic identification to our higher mental processes.

2) We have learned that our perceptions can be based on something as simple as certain features or as complex as past experiences. Chapter 3 reveals theories, processes, and research that tries to explain how we choose only certain pieces of stimuli that is being dealt to us at any given time, or how we can simply use a general scan to locate only stimuli that we deem important.

3) The third portion of chapter 3 focuses on Consciousness. The text offers explanations such as thought suppression, blindsight, and mental control. I, along with the scientists in the text, struggle finding consistent answers with reference to consciousness. It is almost as if the brain is having conversations with itself. I guess this is where we get the saying "my mind tells me one thing, my gut tells me another". Maybe our gut feeling in our conscious awareness.

4) I would say the most important aspects of the chapter, with reference to teaching, come from the attention section. We all know that levels of focus change with every student that walks into the room. I must ask myself, how can I take the concepts I want to teach and deliver them a manner in which I can maintain an effective level of focus and attention by my students.

5) The most interesting portions of this chapter occur in the demonstrations throughout. In my opinion seeing is believing. As I performed tasks like the Isolated/Combined Features and the Stroop effect in the front of the book, I had to invest in the validity of the research. One cannot ignore the differences in the effectiveness of the mind when performing these tasks.

6) The theories and research help explain how the human mind attempts to process incoming information. The more scientists and people learn about our abilities to comprehend and focus on tasks, the more we can improve it. I look at it like technology. The more research we do, the quicker and more efficient technology becomes. Ultimately, especially as educators, imagine how we could make learning more effective and processes more complete.

7) This is a tough question this week. I would say awareness is the key for young students. If we can make them aware of their perceptions then we can also help influence those perceptions. We are not going to be able to identify the mental processes of all our students, but if we can make them self-aware of those processes, then we can help them become more effective at deciphering them.

8) Not in this situation. I believe growth mentally, must be self-fulfilling. We can support and revise their processes, but ulitmately, the student will have to congnitely want to change and improve on learning. I do not believe fast and cheap are words that one can use when it comes to metal maturing.

J.J.'s ROUNDUP
1) If I was in school nowadays, they would consider me ADHD!!!
2) I had trouble paying attention to the section about attention, is that bad?
3) I gave up soda for a resolution. Now all I can think about is how bad I would like to have a COKE. The ironic effects of mental control.
4) Are conscience and conscious brothers?
5) Were a bunch of scientists and psychologists drunk when they came up with the bottleneck theory?
6) Yellow Hah! Stroop on you!

Peace out! JJ

3 comments:

  1. Hi JJ. I really like your response to #7. I think engaging students to be aware of their own perceptions is a way to develop critical thinking skills. You are right, we are not going to be able to identify every students mental processes, but if we can at least get them to a place where they can self identify, then perhaps they can start thinking outside the box. Freeing them for new information.

    I think I may have been classified at least ADD too, had there been such a label. Things have changed a lot since I was in elementary/high school!

    On the resolution thing....have you considered a replacement thought or activity for your soda jones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ, you raise lots of interesting points as usual. Regarding #7, I agree with Jenn that awareness is key. When we talked about metamemory and metacognition in Chapter 6, you'll see that students who have some idea of how memory and learning work (e.g. a personal "theory of mind") often --- drum roll -- learn better! It is probably not too different for any other topic, whether that is a "school" domain like math, or a character skill or a feeling or anything else.

    For #8, I am thinking specifically about applying learning strategies based on the cognitive concepts. For example, which way is the best/cheapest/fastest way to get students to pay attention if you had to implement only one and make some compromises?

    ReplyDelete